Friday, January 18

Limiting Toys For Your Children

I wanted to share with you an article I came across recently, Why Fewer Toys Will Benefit Your Kids, on Becoming Minimalist Blog after searching "how long do children play with their toys". The title grabbed my attention and so did his 12 points--why less is more!!! The holiday shopping season is over but it will again be in full throttle in 10 or less months. This year I gave out handmade gifts (yes, lots of aprons!). Giving out what I sell was a way for me to continue sharing my passion with those close to me and stay up beat about my products. I wasn't really into the holiday gift giving season as I thought I would be this year. I thought with Ruby being a fun 3.5 year old and just starting to understand/experience gift giving that it would be loads of fun! But I was wrong. My post-Christmas poll with other moms unanimously voted that Christmas this year was an overloaded, miserable frenzy!!! 

Now looking back, I discovered why. It was truly just too much stuff. We appreciate the "stuff" but when does it become too much? We had 4 Christmas celebrations between both sides of family (all equally fun in their own ways!) Ruby received a lot of educational toys this year that reflected the Montessori environment that we have set up in our home. But then the "sediment" filtered through and has settled on her bedroom floor or and is now buried in the bottom of her toy box. It saddens me. Really! It does. It's like the Island of Misfit Toys now lives in our home. I think there is a bigger issue at hand here that will not be solved within this post. I think it has to do with consumerism and it's a problem we have as a nation. I am guilty of it!!!


So, I started to really think about the items in my shop on Etsy: art aprons, burp cloths, tool belts. Am I adding to that craziness in playrooms or children's bedroom? Hmmm. Or am I trying to spread some creativeness from my family to yours by way of art aprons, play aprons and tool belts to foster imaginations and innovation?! The latter I hope.


Have you noticed that the items in my Etsy shop are not plastic toys that may get a few plays out of them before your child is bored? Have you also noticed that my items have more than one use? Take the My First Canvas Art Apron for example. This apron is made out of canvas to protect a child's clothing while creating artistic messes! Then when they out grow the apron you can in 3 simple steps--CUT-STRETCH-HANG-- create some fun wall art for all to enjoy.
How is that for recycling and extended the life on a product?


So if you haven't read the 12 tips on Becoming Minimalist read it now! It's a great way to jump start your New Year!!!


What is your child's favorite (non-plastic) toy?

I would love to hear from you! I read all the comments you leave and I thank you for sharing!!!

Chelsea

No comments: