Wednesday, July 13

Lessons Learned! Craft Show Set-up Tips

I'm back! It's been way too long since my last post and I'm feeling super guilty about that. So, I've been busy since I last posted getting ready for the Homemade Days Festival that was last weekend. It took me 3 good weeks to prepare for my first 2 day outdoor festival and I think I'm still recuperating! I've done small festivals that were only a one day event but this was a whole new adventure for me. Today's post will give you a few tips when considering your next outdoor craft festival:





1.Practice setting up your tent before the event. You might find yourself in a situation where it's only you so see if you can take the tent down by yourself, just in case!

2. Secure your tent! No ifs, ands or buts! My EZ-UP tent came with sand bags that easily attached to each tent leg. It was a pain to get the sand inside so we (Matt & I) decided that it would be fine to just tie a leg to the heavy bucket of sand and call it a day. Well....needless to say at 2pm on Friday a thunderstorm and high winds came ripping through the event and my tent proceeded to flip over and started to blow away! My heart leaped out of my chest as I saw it head towards an elderly vendor. I grabbed the tent side but it was no match for me, this tent was going to win. Luckily 2 other vendors (Stacy from Beads by Stacy and a gentleman who I never saw again) also grabbed the wild bronco like tent to save the day! I felt like the biggest jerk after that for not taking the few extra steps to secure my tent. Lesson learned!!!


3. Talk to the crowd! You have about 3 seconds to convince people walking by at the festival why they should stop at your booth and why they want to buy your product. I quickly learned that the more talkative and friendly you are with potential customers they will become your customer.



I hope this post will help you in any of your own future art or craft selling adventures!
Buon viaggio!
Chelsea

No comments: